Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Technology and Social Interaction


Technology has rapidly developed within the past decade and it is continuing to grow at a quick pace.  Recently, it has been hard to walk around school or any other public area without seeing someone watching their favorite sports team online, reading the New York Times on their kindle, updating their status on facebook, tweeting to followers about what a good day they are having, listening to their “top-rated” music on their ipod, or checking their smart-phone – looking up their appointments, checking emails, responding to text messages, playing games, etc.  Our society has become dependent and, to some extent, obsessed with technology.  Although it is something that has a lot to offer, I feel that it is affecting our face-to-face interactions for the worse.  Personally, I don't think that technology has impacted my own face-to-face interactions with others very much because it is something that I am wary of.  I’d much rather spend time with my family and friends doing things with them in person.  I am very conscious of maintaining personal and interactive relationships with others, which is why I make it a point to not let technology get in the way of my “real life” interactions.  However, generally speaking, I feel as though technology has progressed into something appealing for its efficiency, convenience, and constant new developments and this has hindered the face-to-face interactions among the people in our society as a whole.  People are becoming too attached to online communicating rather than conversations in person.  I think that we are embracing technology too rapidly and too eagerly and because of this we are having difficulty realizing the impact it is having on our social lives.  Interacting with others face-to-face is important because it is more personal and helps to develop social and communication skills in order to learn how to relate to all kinds of people.  Not only is it more enjoyable to interact with other people, it is also very useful in terms of getting along with others in the working world (i.e. the business environment). 
I am not very involved with the whole idea of using the Internet to meet other people from dating sites, chat rooms, gaming, etc.  I am aware that people partake in those kinds of things, but I am not entirely familiar with the specifics.  I personally don't think very highly of this kind of thing because it is not a very effective way of getting to know another person.  As it has been said over and over again, you never know who you are talking to on the Internet, making it a risky way of communicating.  I don't believe that you can develop meaningful relationships through the Internet.  What really matters is how you interact with others in person and really getting to know someone involves physically seeing how they behave and taking in the little things they do.  A lot can be determined by observing someone’s behavior as apposed to only “talking” to them through different online sites because you never know if what they are saying actually means something to them.  I do think that it is possible to have productive and significant discussions or debates online (re: political or social issues) because it can be a lot easier to articulate your thoughts when you are writing them down rather than having to think of things to say on the spot when you are verbally communicating.  However, in terms of forming meaningful and substantial relationships via the Internet, I feel that it is just not something that works.  There may be the rare and occasional successful relationship formed online, but realistically speaking, stable and significant relationships of any form are shaped through personal interactions with one another.  

4 comments:

Campshow said...

I agree with seeing people dependent on their smart phones. Six of my housemates have smart phones and it is hard to walk to lunch with them or hang out at the house because they are constantly on facebook or checking emails. So I have an answer for you Cathlyn, start calling them out. Now when I walk with them I tell them to relax with their smart phones. I know you only mentioned people that you walk by but if you notice your friends starting to become infatuated with their phones just call them out on it. Soon they will become self-conscious about it and relax. Give it a shot.

Elysia Chu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elysia Chu said...

I like how you mentioned the convenience and efficiency brought about by technology. It got me thinking... With regards to social interaction, isn't it ironic that yes, technology is so convenient in many ways, but when it comes to interacting with people, isn't it more convenient AND efficient to say, call someone or meet up with that person (and have that "real" talking experience) rather than taking the time to text him or her and waiting a while for their response? Yet people choose not to call.

I think the prevalence of technology has made us conform and depend on its constant availability. In effect, I think we take some friendships and relationships for granted, because we (well, at least I tend to) always have in our minds "It's so easy to just send them a text or email. I can do that later or tomorrow."

Marianne said...

Hi Cathlyn. I really enjoyed reading your blog because I totally agree with a lot of the things you wrote. I would prefer having face to face conversations with others rather than in cyber space. I must admit that I’m one of the ones who walk around campus glued to my phone. I only do it when I walk alone because it keeps me company. When I’m around my friends, I try to avoid using my phone as much as possible only because I feel like it’s rude. Occasionally, I would get notified that I just received an email, but I wouldn’t jump on it right away. I have to admit that I sometimes get annoyed seeing everyone else so dependent upon it. For example, I have a friend whom I tend to go to the movies with. He is CONSTANTLY texting during the movie, and that drives me INSANE. One time, I told him that he could’ve just stayed home rather than accompany me to the movies if he couldn’t sit still without using his phone for an hour and a half or so. Since then, he still goes to the movies with me, but he’s very cautious about using his phone. Though his behavior still persists, it’s definitely decreased. Campshow’s advice about calling people out on it helps.